Don’t Miss Ken Fulk’s Top Ten Entertaining Tips
From gregarious guests to unfussy flowers, follow Fulk to party planning perfection.
Whether you are having your neighbors over for a game of cards or celebrating a 50th anniversary with 100 of your closest friends, there are some guidelines that will make every party a success. Ken Fulk is a “designer and creator of experiences” and is renowned for his unforgettable parties and gorgeously layered interior spaces. We asked Ken for his top 10 rules for throwing the best party in town.
Ken Fulk’s Top Ten Entertaining Tips
- A great guest list makes a great party; seating people with different stories next to each other leads to great conversations.
- Make one drink well and stick to it. And make sure there’s always enough to last the night.
- Dim the lights. A remote dimmer is a host’s best friend.
- Make a playlist ahead of time—and have your controller handy to adjust volume throughout the party.
- You can never have enough candles —tapers, votives, pillars. There’s nothing more decidedly romantic than candlelight.
- Delicious food is paramount. It doesn’t have to be fancy or home-cooked, just delicious.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff—the best hosts are able to relax and enjoy their party.
- Dress up! If you’re inviting people out for a special evening, the least you can do is dress the part.
- The most glorious flower arrangements feel as though you’ve gathered the blooms from the garden, so I prefer to think big but not too fussy.
- A clever parting gift or custom favor is the perfect way to send guests home with a smile—it can be as simple as a charming take-away box of cookies or a festive accessory from the photobooth.
Get more advice on preparing your home for entertaining here.